2019 EXCELLENCE IN CRAFT AWARDS CONTEST
Outdoor Writers Association of California
1. Best Outdoor Medium – An outdoor medium is the whole or any regularly scheduled section that is devoted to outdoor news and feature articles, submitted in any medium (print, online or broadcast). This is an award to the medium, not to a writer, though writers are encouraged to submit their media for consideration. Best Outdoor Medium is considered to be one of OWAC’s most prestigious awards. Three examples of the entire outdoor medium or its specific section must be submitted.
Giselle de Jong Bishop Visitor 1st
John Poimiroo California Fall Colors 2nd
Gary Graham BD Outdoors 3rd
2. Best Outdoor News Article- A news article is a straight-forward story, without spin and free of all faction, in which the reporter delivers factual, attributed information that is verifiable, submitted in any medium (print, online or broadcast).
John Poimiroo Aspen Grove Trail 1st
Tom Martens Wild Fire & Fish 2nd
3. Best Outdoor Series - A series of news articles connected by subject and numbered Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, etc., with thematic unity from start to finish and published consecutively, submitted in any medium (print, online or broadcast).
Giselle de Jong Bishop Visitor 1st
4. Best Outdoor Newspaper Feature Story - A newspaper feature is a story that covers a select issue, person or event in depth and usually focus on human-interest elements of a situation, adventure or event, published in a newspaper or on a newspaper website.
Carrie Wilson Butte County Explorers 1st
Denis Peirce From Deckhand to Captain 2nd
5. Best Outdoor Newspaper Column - A column is regular section of a newspaper or newspaper website that gives the writer’s perspective or opinion, such as an essay or first-person report, often on an issue of the day. Three separate examples of the column must be submitted– this means different columns, printed on different days. Sending only three copies of the same column will result in disqualification.
Tom Stienstra San Francisco Chronicle 1st
Mary West Day Hiker 2nd
Mike Stevens Knee Deep 3rd
6. Best Outdoor Magazine Feature - A magazine feature is an article that covers a selected issue, person or event in-depth and usually focuses on the human-interest elements of a situation, adventure or event, published in a magazine or on a magazine website.
Monica Prelle A Dose of the Outdoors 1st
Gary Graham Millionaire Club 2nd
7. Best Outdoor Magazine Column - A column is a piece of writing that gives the perspective or opinion, such as an essay or first-person report, usually on an issue of the day, published in a magazine or on a magazine website. Three separate examples of the column must be submitted - this means different columns, printed in different issues. Sending only three copies of the same column will result in disqualification.
Tom Martens The Good Fight 1st
Matt Johanson Sierra Splendor 2nd
8. Best Outdoor Newsletter - A newsletter is a report that is published at least three times a year and that contains news or information of interest to a specific group. Three examples of different editions must be submitted.
Gloria Jones Chubasco 1st
9. Best Outdoor Book - This award is specifically for non-fiction and fiction outdoor books other than guidebooks. It includes, such as: memoirs, novels, history, and photography books. Two copies of each entry must be submitted (to be returned by mail).
Bob Gaines Advanced Rock Climbing 1st
Diana Lindsay Coloring Plants 2nd
Kim Stuart Dangerous Game Animals 3rd
10. Best Outdoor Guidebook - A guidebook (includes travel and how-to books) provides details of a geographic area or a skill, often both, and is published with the intent to be the ultimate information source for that geographic area or skill. Two copies of each entry must be submitted.
Matt Johanson Sierra Summits 1st
Mike McKenna Casting Around 2nd
Diana Lindsay Best Outdoor Guidebook 3rd
11. Best Outdoor Feature Photograph - A feature photo covers a selected issue, person or place, and usually focuses on the human-interest elements of a situation, event or place.
John Poimiroo Seasonal Confetti 1st
John DeGrazio George Whitmore 2nd
12. Best Outdoor Action Photograph - An action photo captures a moment in time, a real-life event or adventure.
Tom Stienstra Lunchtime for Mr. Griz 1st
John DeGrazio Slackline Artist Freddie 2nd
Jim Niemiec South Ranch Honker 3rd
Susan Colby Paddling in Paradise 4th
13. Best Outdoor Photographic Series - A series is a formal connection of photographs with thematic unity from start to finish and published as a single work. Not less than three, nor more than five photographs in a series can be submitted.
Giselle de Jong Peak Flows-Owens Valley 1st
Susan Colby Society Islands Escape 2nd
John Poimiroo Sacramento Last Leaves 3rd
14. Best Outdoor Radio Show Short Format - A regularly broadcast or podcast feature covering the outdoors from 1- 5 minutes in length. Three segments from different broadcasts must be submitted.
Tom Stienstra Elk Revival 1st
15. Best Outdoor Radio Show Medium Format - A radio show is any broadcast of more than 10 minutes but less than one-half hour or longer in length. Three segments from different broadcasts must be submitted.
Jack Eidt Eco Justice Radio 1st
16. Best Outdoor Radio Show - A radio show is any broadcast of one-half hour or longer in length. Three segments from different broadcasts must be submitted.
John Henigin Fish Hunt Talk Radio 1st
John DeGrazio Yosemite Can-O-Peaches 2nd
17. Best Outdoor Radio Feature – A single radio feature is any broadcast or podcast of 1 to 10 minutes in length. No winning entry.
18. Best Outdoor TV Show Segment- A TV show segment is any broadcast of 1 to 15 minutes in length, regularly incorporated into a larger TV show. Three segments from different broadcasts must be submitted. No winning entry.
19. Best Outdoor TV Show - A TV show is any broadcast of 15 minutes or longer in length. Three segments from different broadcasts must be submitted.No winning entry.
20. Best Outdoor TV Show Feature - A TV show story or segment of less than 15 minutes broadcast once as part of a larger program. No winning entry.
21. Best Outdoor Video Short – A video short is any broadcast or Internet feature of one to five minutes in length.
John Poimiroo Giving Thanks 1st
22. Best Outdoor Video Medium – A video short is any broadcast or Internet feature of more than 5 minutes but less than 15 minutes in length. No winning entry.
23. Best Outdoor Video Standard– A video short is any broadcast or Internet feature of more than 15 minutes in length. No winning entry.
24. Best Outdoor Internet Site – An Internet site is any website, application software or mobile app, accessible through the World Wide Web. The entire outdoor section of the site is judged. Note: Website entries should be for the entire website, not just a single page.The submitter must have complete design, content management, imagery and maintenance authority – the submitter does not need to have completed the technical programming, can but does not have to, but he/she should be recognized as the manager of the site.
John Poimiroo Calif. Fall Colors 1st
Chad Woods NorCal Fish reports 2nd
25. Best Outdoor Internet Article – An Internet article is an individual feature story, column or news report published solely on an Internet site.
Monica Prelle There's No Running 1st
Greg Niemann Hotel Serenidad 2nd
26. Best OWAC Conference-related Work - Conference-related work is any work (print, web, photographic, video or broadcast) based on participation at any previous OWAC conference published or broadcast during 2017. No winning entry.
27. Phil Ford Humor Award - The Phil Ford Humor Award, named after OWAC charter member Phil Ford, honors work that exemplifies Phil’s style of capturing the outdoor world with a wink and a grin.
Matt Johanson Internet Dating for Climbers 1st
Mike Stevens Tackle Shopping Torture 2nd
John Poimiroo Orange Friday 3rd
28. John Reginato Conservation Award - The John Reginato Conservation Award is named after OWAC co-founder John Reginato and exemplifies his life-long passion to conserve fish, wildlife and other outdoor resources.
Tom Martens Cannabis Impact on Fish 1st
Gary Graham A Glimmer-Beacon 2nd
John Henigin Fish Hunt Talk Radio 3rd
29. OWAC Writer of the Year – OWAC members cannot apply for this award. It is selected by the judges from winners of categories 1 – 28.
Gigi de Jong
Congratulations to our winners and thank you to our judges and dedicated staff for making this and excellent contest.